Controversy surrounds Melaye’s whereabouts

By Editor on 27/07/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 533

Melaye
Melaye

…as senator fails to turn up in court

Fresh controversy surrounds the whereabouts of the lawmaker representing Kogi West in the Senate, Dino Melaye.

A lawyer to the lawmaker, Yemi Mohammed, on Thursday, said the senator was attacked at Gwagwalada on his way to Lokoja on Wednesday.

Mohammed, who represented Melaye’s lead counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), said this at a Senior Magistrate’s Court in Lokoja, Kogi State where Melaye is facing charges of illegal possession of firearms and arms dealing.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, Mohammed told the court that he had it on good authority that Melaye was attacked in Gwagwalada on his way to Lokoja.

“I learnt that he was attacked yesterday (Wednesday) in Gwagwalada on his way to Lokoja to attend his trial and up till now, I have not been able to reach him, I don’t know where he is at the moment,’’ the lawyer said.

The magistrate, Sulyman Abdullah, adjourned the case till August 9 for the commencement of trial as the prosecution could not open its case due to the absence of its lead counsel, Dr Alex Izinyon (SAN).

The Officer in Charge of the Legal Department of the Kogi Command of the Nigeria Police, Mr Theophilus Oteme, told the court that Izinyon had an emergency call on Wednesday that made it impossible for him to appear in court on Thursday.

Oteme, therefore, applied for an adjournment until September 23 for the commencement of trial in view of the absence of the lead prosecutor. More so, one of the defendants, Melaye, was not in court.

In his ruling, Abdullah turned down the application by the prosecution for a long adjournment till September   23.

He said that the Kogi State Administration of Criminal Justice Law did not allow for an adjournment beyond two weeks in a criminal case.

The magistrate, therefore, adjourned the case till August 9 and ordered that the bail earlier granted to Melaye continued.

Abdullah, however, ruled that the other two accused persons, Nuhu Salihu, alias “small’’, and Kabiru Seidu,  also known as “Osama’’, standing trial on a seven charges bordering on illegal possession of firearms and arms dealing, should remain remanded in the police custody.

Meanwhile, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce had on his Twitter handle earlier on Thursday alleged that Melaye was abducted in the Abaji area of the Federal Capital Territory.

Murray-Bruce said he was told that the lawmaker was blocked by some gunmen on the Abuja-Lokoja highway.

He tweeted: “I have just been informed by Moses Melaye, Dino Melaye’s brother, that Dino has been abducted by unknown persons in a Toyota Sienna that blocked their car and overpowered them on their way to Kogi to answer to Dino’s court case. Let’s be on the watch out. Will keep you updated.”

Melaye’s telephone lines indicated that they had been switched off when several attempts were made to contact him by one of our correspondents. It was the same situation as of 8:20pm when this report was filed.

His Special Assistant on Media, Gideon Ayodele, also did not answer the several calls made to his telephone lines. He also did not reply a text message sent to him asking about the whereabouts of the lawmaker.

But a Melaye’s family source, who spoke with one of our correspondents at about 8.30pm on Thursday, confirmed that the senator was free.

Another family source said, “He (Melaye) is getting better, as he managed to escape from his abductors.”

But when contacted on Thursday night, Melaye’s lawyer, Ozekhome, told one of our correspondents that he had only been in contact with the senator’s brother while he also expressed hope of positivity.

“I am in touch with his brother. I believe all will be well,” the senior lawyer said.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Police Force says it has not received any complaint or report in any of its divisions or stations throughout the Federal Capital Territory or any other state command about the kidnap of Melaye.

The police spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, in a statement in Abuja, however, said they had commenced an investigation into the attack on the senator.

“The attention of the Police were drawn to the report of the purported kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye in some sections of the media. However, the Force has commenced an investigation into the purported kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye.

“We wish to implore any of his family members, relatives or friends who witnessed the kidnap or have information about the purported kidnap of the Senator to report the incident at the nearest police station to assist the police in the investigation.”--Punch

Posted 27/07/2018 04:06:53 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Dangote truck kills 13 on Akwanga/Abuja Highway

15 die in fresh gunmen attack in Zamfara,...

Nigerian clinic records 430 cases of snakebite in...

More trouble for APC as Gov. Ahmed hints...

Adams Oshiomhole is APC New National Chairman

Four cops dismissed for extorting N7m from cleric...

Gov. Ayade weeps as he signs historic N1.3tr...

Nigerian govt refutes rumour its medical outreach programme...

Herdsmen kill over 100 returning from funeral in...

Pres. Buhari assures Nigerians on security

Killings: Court okays suit seeking Buhari’s impeachment

Ekweremadu: Don’t push Igbo to the Wall, Ohanaeze...

 

Latest News Another minister skips NYSC, risks jail term 2019: World leaders have little regard for Buhari – Saraki Kogi Gov’s Convoy in Auto Crash CJ Directs Judges to Conclude Pre-election Cases by October 2019: APC chieftain dares Buhari, declares support for Atiku at PDP secretariat Ekweremadu’s Constituents Carpet Buhari’s Aides over senatorial seat Drama as APC chieftain defects to PDP, places curse 2019: Dogara defects, picks PDP forms INEC denies plans to postpone 2019 elections Buhari assures on new minimum wage as workers threaten strike APC fires back at The Economist, HSBC for predicting Buhari’s defeat Army, others in show of force over IPOB sit-at-home order

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,704 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,060 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (4,898 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (4,371 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (4,278 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,575 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,318 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,282 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,252 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,247 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,244 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,076 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (440) EDITORIAL (5) POLITICS (330) SOCIETY (102) SPORTS (12) BUSINESS (194) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (14) ENTERTAINMENT (7) INTERNATIONAL (30) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands