Nigerian govt refutes rumour its medical outreach programme caused monkeypox

By Tony Edike on 09/10/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,199

Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information
Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information

The Federal Government has described as fake and sinister the report that the outbreak of monkeypox in some parts of the country resulted from the alleged free medical care by the government in the affected areas.

In a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said Nigerians should disregard the report which, apparently, is being spread by some unscrupulous persons to fit into a sinister agenda.The statement was signed by the Special Adviser to the Minister, Segun Adeyemi.”The Federal Government has not conducted any free medical service or care in either Bayelsa or Rivers state, as alleged in the fake report being circulated.

“So, that could not have been the cause of the outbreak of Monkey Pox in both states.

“Monkey Pox is a virus found only in monkeys and it is rare in human beings. It belongs to the same family as Chicken Pox and Smallpox.

”It is suspected that someone may have contacted it by eating monkey meat, thus triggering the current outbreak,” the minister said.

He assured that no effort would be spared in curtailing the spread of the disease.

Apart from Bayelsa and Rivers, neighbouring Akwa Ibom has also reported suspected cases of the viral disease.

Earlier on Sunday, the Bayelsa government said a doctor and two other patients that were suspected to have the disease have fully recovered.

Posted 09/10/2017 06:11:08 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Secondus raises alarm over PDP members, Dino Melaye,...

PDP apologizes for past mistakes, vows to rescue...

Murder: Supreme Court affirms Death Sentence on Imo...

Nigerian students protest in UK against herdsmen killings...

NNPC’s 25 Billion dollars scandal and the hypocrisy...

Tension in Owerri over renaming of Maria Assumpta...

FG plans to assassinate me, says Wike

PDP clears Enugu Council Polls

Gov. Ugwuanyi receives Enugu Returnees from Libya

Reps debunks Buhari’s queries on 2018 budget

World Cup: Nigeria will get to semi-finals, magical...

$5.3bn: Court strikes out EFCC case against Patience...

 

Latest News Ekiti Assembly rejects election results, adjourns till October Varsity student found dead in well after SARS invasion of hostel 2019 polls to cost N242bn, Buhari tells National Assembly 2019 elections will be free, fair -- President Buhari Ekiti election fell short of global standards, say US observer group, others Ekiti: Coalition protests alleged election rigging at US embassy Melaye condemns burning down of his school projects in Kogi ICC summoned Buhari because of killings in Nigeria – PDP Herdsmen: Foreigners are not involved in Nigeria’s killings – French Ambassador Floods kill 44, destroy 500 houses in Katsina 2019: I won’t just be President but a warrior in fight against poverty, injustices – Dankwambo Taraba State Commissioner of Police, David Akinremi, on Monday sustained an head injury following an attack on him by some youths in the Tudunwada area of Jalingo, the state capital. The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP David Misal, who disclosed this to journalists, explained that the CP had gone to the area with a team of policemen to restore normalcy following reports of youths’ unrest only to be stoned and injured in the head by “the irate youths.”

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,192 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (4,390 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (4,251 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (3,765 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (3,704 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,077 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (2,819 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (2,739 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (2,738 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (2,719 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (2,673 views) Chime not owner of Enugu Mall – Spar (2,289 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (252) EDITORIAL (4) POLITICS (306) SOCIETY (96) SPORTS (12) BUSINESS (164) HEALTH (13) EDUCATION (13) ENTERTAINMENT (7) INTERNATIONAL (25) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands