Over 300 people die in South Africa floods

By AdvocateNews on 14/04/2022

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 541

Death toll in South African province of KwaZulu-Natal has reached more than 300
Death toll in South African province of KwaZulu-Natal has reached more than 300

The death toll in the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal has reached more than 300, after devastating floods wreaked havoc in the area.

A state of disaster has been declared in the area, after some areas saw months worth of rain fall in one day.

 

Officials have called it "one of the worst weather storms in the history of our country".

Mudslides have trapped people under buildings, with more floods expected.

There are reports that the rescue effort is being hampered by poor visibility as a helicopter continues to bring people back to safety.

On Tuesday the BBC witnessed one such search operation for a 10-year-old girl who was part of a family of four swept away on a flooded bridge.

 
Community volunteers waded into the muddy river, taking turns to hack away at the branches using machetes and removing debris and rubbish that had washed downstream.

Jomba Phiri, who lives in the region's main city, Durban, said his house had been swept away in the floods.

"I don't know where we're going to sleep now," he told Reuters news agency.

Parts of the crucial N3 highway which connects Durban to South Africa's economic heartland of Gauteng province have been blocked.

President Cyril Ramaphosa has visited the area and pledged to help.

"Even though your hearts are in pain, we're here for you," the Reuters news agency quotes him as saying.

 
 

He also described the disaster as a "force of nature", which some have disagreed with. They blame poor drainage and badly built houses in low-lying areas for the high death toll.

A submerged fuel tanker in DurbanIMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
The KwaZulu-Natal province says it needs more funds to fix the extensive damage
Man standing on debris in Clermont, near DurbanIMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
There are still several people missing, trapped under debris and rubble

Durban Mayor Mxolisi Kaunda denied that poor drainage was to blame, saying the scale of the flood was unexpected.

Scenes of destruction are still evident throughout the area. Some of the roads to the port of Durban, one of the busiest in Africa, are impassable after the swollen river washed mud and debris onto the roads.

Operations at the port have now been suspended. A shipping container warehouse near a busy highway was severely flooded, and hundreds of containers were washed away.

In an industrial area called the Bluff, which forms part of the port, the BBC witnessed cars overturned on the road, or crushed by debris. Companies are using water pumps to drain the water from their premises.

There is also a hunt for crocodiles that were washed away during the floods, although most have since been found.

Crocodile Creek Farm, about 40km (25 miles) north of Durban in Tongaat, says 12 crocodiles were swept away after torrential rain hit the area.

Ron Naidoo, a community pastor in the town of Tongaat, told the BBC he had been kept awake through the night by the rising floodwaters and had seen police drag a car out of the river with a body inside.

"It was traumatic because it is the first time that we have seen the river rise so high here," he continued.

Man near debris at Blue Lagoon beachIMAGE SOURCE,AFP
Image caption,
There are mounds of debris strewn across affected areas

The KwaZulu-Natal provincial government estimates that billions of rand worth of damage has been caused to properties and infrastructure, describing the heavy rains as unleashing "untold havoc" in a statement on Facebook.

Electricity and water treatment plants have been "flooded out", the Durban mayor told the BBC.

Communications have also been disrupted with two major networks reporting that more than 900 of their cell phone towers are down.

Declaring the flood-stricken area a disaster zone will "enable the province to apply for emergency funding" from the National Treasury and assist with necessary reconstruction work, authorities say.

There are also reports of looting in Durban, which the local government has condemned: "We will not allow what is a tragic development in our province to be taken advantage of," it said.

The government is calling on people to stay safe by avoiding flooded roads and bridges and to evacuate to higher ground if they live in low-lying areas.

At the start of the year, the region was hit by three cyclones and two tropical storms in six weeks, which primarily affected Madagascar, Mozambique and Malawi and inflicted widescale damage with 230 reported deaths according to the World Weather Attribution (WWA). (BBC)

Posted 14/04/2022 3:45:31 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
61 commercial sex workers bag six months jail...

Bode George: Why I withdrew from the brazen...

I left Chime for fear of my life...

Buhari orders regular crude supply to modular refineries...

Court strikes out Nnamani’s N5.3bn charge, EFCC to...

Fares soar, tension rises as Anambra fumes over...

Member bags one-year jail term for stealing from...

Court steps down Osinachi husband’s homicide case

Pastor who collects money from members to take...

Fed Govt plans more borrowing from domestic sources...

2019: FG plans to frame me, give me...

Christmas: My account has been frozen, I need...

 

Latest News Peter Obi: Arrest, prosecute Mahdi Shehu, Ohanaeze tells FG 2023: Obasanjo may support Peter Obi Edeoga: Can a pact breaker keep campaign promises? Over 13,000 APC members defect to PDP in Kaduna Umahi denies ordering police to teargas, attack Peter Obi’s supporters in Ebonyi 2023: North will vote massively for Peter Obi — Prophet El-Buba Senator Ubah: How I narrowly escaped assassins’ bullets Some people are after my life – Peter Obi, LP presidential candidate, alleges Abba Kyari denies ownership of 14 assets, mall, estate, others, demands evidence from NDLEA Thugs attack Labour Party meeting in Enugu We’ve no agreement with Tinubu on Muslim-Muslim ticket – CAN insists The YouTube prayer channel started during Covid that's become a global movement

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (461,928 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (461,927 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (461,927 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (461,927 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (461,926 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (461,926 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (461,926 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (461,925 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (461,923 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (453,638 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (389,045 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (387,615 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (159) EDITORIAL (25) NEWS (9,920) POLITICS (522) SOCIETY (135) SPORTS (67) BUSINESS (381) HEALTH (63) EDUCATION (53) ENTERTAINMENT (65) INTERNATIONAL (232) TECHNOLOGY (8) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (47)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.