UK warns citizens against travel to 21 Nigerian states

By AdvocateNews on 19/06/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,534


The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) of the United Kingdom has cautioned British nationals against travelling to 21 states in Nigeria.

In a statement on its website “updated June 17, 2019” and “still current at June 18, 2019,” the FCO listed the states as: Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, “riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River States within 20 kilometres of the border with Niger in Zamfara State.

“The FCO advises against all but essential travel to: Bauchi State, Zamfara State, Kano State, Kaduna State, Jigawa State, Katsina State, Kogi State, within 20 kilometres of the border with Niger in Sokoto and Kebbi States, non-riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers State and Abia State.”

It stated further: “Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Nigeria. Most attacks occur in the north east, particularly in Borno (including central Maiduguri and along access routes connecting the city to other major towns and along the Niger border, including in Damasak), Yobe, including the eastern LGAs bordering Borno State both north and south of the Damaturu road), and Adamawa States.

“There have also been significant attacks in Gombe, Kano, Kaduna, Jos and Bauchi States and in the Federal capital, Abuja. The terrorist threat across eastern Yobe and Borno State is high, with frequent recent attacks. Terrorist groups carried out attacks in North East Nigeria during the February 2019 election period, and further attacks are likely. We continue to advise against all travel to Borno and Yobe States.”

Meanwhile, persons posted to Taraba State for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme yesterday expressed fear over the wave of violence ravaging parts of the state.

Participants in the scheme had been expected to report to camps nationwide latest midnight yesterday. But in Jalingo, the Taraba State capital, the location – barely a kilometre from the troubled communities – violence is sending shivers down the spine of many of the youths.

Thirteen persons were reportedly killed during fresh attacks in Ardo-Kola and Donga Local Government Areas of the state on Monday night. Houses and cars were also razed during the onslaught blamed on herdsmen.

A curfew is currently in place as the state swoons under the burden of ethnic conflicts and raids by armed herders.

This was as dozens of women in black dresses protested against the killings of their husbands and children yesterday in Jalingo. Some of the women who spoke to The Guardian questioned why the federal and state governments were taking so long to restore sanity.

Monday’s incident followed an assault 24 hours earlier by heavily armed bandits on motorcycles who invaded Tudiri village via Jauro Yinu ward of Ardo-Kola.

“I am in Janibanibu village right now. We have recovered six dead bodies. We are making efforts to give them mass burial with the support of the soldiers here. The situation is still very tense. Many houses have been burnt. There is a threat of possible attack again by the armed Fulani militia,” a cleric, Rev. Cyriacus Kamai, told reporters yesterday.

Taraba State police spokesman, David Misal, however said: “Five people were killed in the attack on Janibanibu near Jalingo. I am not aware of the killing of seven persons in Donga as speculated. The information I have indicates that there was an attack on a village in Donga and one person was killed.”

One corps member narrated how he escaped death by the whiskers. “Some armed people stopped us on our way coming. They demanded that Tiv passengers get down from the vehicle. I thank God that no Tiv person was in the vehicle. I learnt they would have taken him to the bush and killed him,” he said.

Another told The Guardian: “If at all we successfully complete our orientation, what about the local governments or villages to which we would be posted? How are we going to cope with this kind of situation? Frankly, my mind is not here at all. If I had my way, I will go back to my state pending when I get redeployment to other parts of the country.”

One graduate from the Institute of Management and Technology (IMT) Enugu said she and her colleagues were “confused by the negative news coming out of Taraba at this time, especially the killings and sacking of communities a few kilometres from the orientation camp.”

Hopeful of safety in numbers, she said they formed a travel group of about eight corps members and were already on their way to Jalingo as at press time.

Efforts to get the reaction of the NYSC state coordinator, Florence Yaakugh, were unsuccessful as she neither returned phone calls nor replied to text messages. – Guardian.

Posted 19/06/2019 11:49:41 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
APC-led FG doesn’t care if dead bodies litter...

Anambra loses N19.6bn every sit-at-home – Soludo

SEEDS OF DESTINY JAN 9 2021: AVOIDING OVER-CONFIDENCE...

South East will contest 2023 presidency as if...

Reps reject motion to consider 2014 National Conference...

FG releases fresh guidelines for stolen SIM cards...

Gunmen killed in Rivers, others arrested as police...

Panic as Abuja-Frankfurt flight drops 5,000 feet

SEEDS OF DESTINY MARCH 27, 2021: THE RIGHT...

Ghana shuts parliament after 168 lawmakers, officials contract...

Senate leadership: South East lost out for putting...

Police confirm abduction of Nasarawa APC chairman

 

Latest News Buhari unveils e-Naira IPOB sit-at-home: Anambra adopts Saturday as school day Insecurity: Royal Navy Warship arrives in Lagos IPOB threatens a week sit-at-home from November 4 if Kanu is not released Police forced me to borrow N35,000 from online platform to pay bribe – Singer Herdsmen kidnap Enugu fashion designer, demand N2m ramsom Man puts himself up for sale for N20m in Kano Oronsaye report: FG budgets N900bn for agencies recommended for scrapping Gunmen attack police station in Ebonyi; 3 policemen feared dead Low passenger turnout as Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes operations We do not impose multiple taxes, levies on private schools ― Enugu Govt Sit-at-home: You won’t enslave Ndigbo for one week – Ohanaeze tells IPOB

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (192,324 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (192,322 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (192,321 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (192,321 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (192,320 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (192,320 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (192,317 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (192,211 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (187,727 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (187,076 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (149,229 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (147,541 views)

 

 

SECTIONS NEWS (7,004) FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (18) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (132) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (50) ENTERTAINMENT (51) INTERNATIONAL (178) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (39)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.