Boko Haram: Death toll rises to 65 in Borno funeral attack

By AdvocateNews on 29/07/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,436


…Buhari orders immediate military action

An attack last weekend by Boko Haram fighters on a funeral in Borno State has left 65 people dead, almost three times the initial toll, a local official said.

Dozens of more bodies were discovered on Sunday following the assault a day before by gunmen on a village close to the regional capital, Maiduguri.

“It is 65 people dead and 10 injured,” said Muhammed Bulama, the local government chairman.

Bulama added that more than 20 people had died in the initial attack on a funeral gathering. Dozens more were killed as they tried to chase after the attackers.

The leader of a local anti-Boko Haram militia confirmed the death toll, giving a slightly different account of the attack.

Bunu Bukar Mustapha told AFP news agency that 23 people were killed as they returned from the funeral and “the remaining 42 were killed when they pursued the terrorists”.

Bulama said he thought the latest attack was in retaliation for the killing two weeks ago of 11 Boko Haram fighters by local residents when the fighters approached their village. The residents also captured 10 automatic rifles.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday condemned the attack and directed the country’s air force and army to begin air patrols and ground operations to hunt down the attackers, a statement released by the president’s office said.

Boko Haram fighters have repeatedly attacked the surrounding Nganzai district.

Boko Haram has waged a decade-long insurgency in northeast Nigeria that has killed around 27,000 people and displaced more than two million others.

The group has splintered between the Boko Haram faction loyal to its long-time leader Abubakar Shekau and an affiliate of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS) group.

Shekau’s group tends to hit softer targets including civilians, while the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) has since last year ratcheted up its campaign against the military.

Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday ordered an immediate military action against Boko Haram for killing 65 mourners during a funeral procession in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

He directed the air force and army to begin air patrols and ground operations to hunt down the attackers.

A statement by a presidential spokesman, Mallam Garba Shehu, said the president had received assurances from the armed forces that the terrorists who committed the killings “will pay a big price for their action.”

“The federal government is firmly and resolutely committed to taking all necessary measures to safeguard the nation’s security.

“This administration is determined to end the menace of terrorism, the statement quoted the president as saying.

The statement said a major exercise by the  air force with air patrols and ground operations by the army had begun to hunt down the attackers.

It also said the president assured the residents of Maiduguri and those settled in internally displaced persons (IDP) camps that they would receive increased protection from further attacks by Boko Haram.

Posted 29/07/2019 09:17:47 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Atiku warns against borrowing as Buhari signs N10.594tr...

Anthony Joshua gets £20m for shock defeat, Andy...

JOS KILLINGS: Middle Belt Forum demands discreet investigation...

Ballot, not courts, should determine election winners —Ex-President...

IPOB threatens a week sit-at-home from November 4...

Presidency, Ortom in war of words again

UNGA: PDP tasks Buhari to address EU, AU...

Police dismiss report on Boko Haram attack in...

Balarabe’s troops served as escorts for Wadume –Hamisu’s...

2023: Igbo leaders meet in Owerri, initiate move...

PDP candidate, Seyi Makinde, emerges Oyo governor-elect

Mbaka apologises to Obi, begs for forgiveness

 

Latest News Umahi confirms killing of five abducted construction workers in Ebonyi Northerners Forum salutes Soludo, solicits key role, assignment in his administration Mkpurummiri addiction has no cure – NDLEA warns Buhari suspends AEDC management as firm faces internal crisis Man commits suicide after losing company’s N150,000 on bet 30 burnt to death as bandits set bus ablaze in Sokoto Students strip policeman, set school ablaze, principal flees Security agents, not ESN, planting bombs in Igboland – IPOB Omicron Variant: FG asks UK to rescind ban on Nigerians Governor Ugwuanyi Rising To the Occasion in Protecting Enugu State Residents as Yuletide Approaches Three Dowen College Students in Police custody over Sylvester Oromoni ‘s death Police arrest 5 rape suspects, woman with 90 rounds of ammunition in Borno

 

Most Read I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (228,859 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (228,858 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (228,858 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (228,858 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (228,857 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (228,857 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (228,856 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (228,854 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (222,186 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (221,983 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (172,473 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (170,787 views)

 

 

SECTIONS NEWS (7,426) FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (19) POLITICS (496) SOCIETY (132) SPORTS (58) BUSINESS (370) HEALTH (59) EDUCATION (50) ENTERTAINMENT (55) INTERNATIONAL (183) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (42)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.