Shooting disrupts reunion of freed Zamfara schoolgirls with parents

By AdvocateNews on 04/03/2021

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 540


All the 279 Zamfara schoolgirls released by kidnappers this week were on Wednesday reunited with their parents, in an emotional event overshadowed by chaos and shooting by security forces.

According to a AFP reporter who witnessed the handing over,  mobs began throwing stones at officials outside the school in the remote village of Jangebe when the girls were returned after officials’ insisted on a formal handover before parents could leave with their children.

One person was shot in the stomach when security personnel opened fire and was carried away by others in the crowd.

“Four people have been shot dead in the confusion,” Jangebe resident Bello Gidan-Ruwa told AFP by phone after leaving the village.

The tally could not immediately be confirmed with official sources.

The school girls were abducted on Friday last week  from their hostels by gunmen but released them early Tuesday.

Since their release, the students had been in government care in state capital Gusau, receiving medical treatment before being returned to the school to be handed over to their parents.

There were tears and hugs from parents and relations as the girls arrived in buses, but officials and security personnel insisted on ushering the children into the dining hall.

Anxious parents were outraged by officials’ insistence that the girls must be handed over to the local chief of Anka district, Attahiru Ahmad Anka.

“It is infuriating for (officials) to say they had to finish their speeches before handing over our children to us. This is outrageous,” one mother told AFP as she led her daughter away.

“They know the roads are insecure but they didn’t care. If we leave late and are kidnapped with our daughters again, the girls’ rescue will make no sense.”

There was chaos in the hall as parents grabbed their children and stormed out to the consternation of the officials.

Shooting by the security forces began when the crowd began pelting a convoy carrying regional parliament speaker Nasiru Mu’azu Magarya with stones as it tried to leave the village.

Despite the chaos, the girls and parents were happy for their release.

“I’m extremely happy to have been rescued from our captors,” Aisha Jamilu, a student, told AFP.

“I thank God for saving us from them. It was a horrifying experience I will never forget.”

She added that she would leave up to her parents the question of whether to resume her studies and run the risk of a second kidnapping.

“Even if I don’t go back to the same school I can be transferred to another one,” Jamilu said.

Muhammad Sani, father to two of the girls, said he was “delighted” to see his daughters again.

“I can’t say or express how happy I’m. I didn’t cry when the girls were kidnapped but I couldn’t hold my tears when I saw them today. They were tears of joy.”

 

Posted 04/03/2021 04:21:16 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Access to Kabul airport blocked with gunfire

Enugu monarch, wife kidnapped

Two brothers to die by hanging for stealing...

Buhari seeks help to end Boko Haram

Gov. Oyetola meets Army Chief over herdsmen attacks,...

MFM Church Building: Painting contractor apologises, blames his...

FG asks States to stop resumption of schools...

FG freezes Sahara Reporters’ bank account

Breaking: Wife of Late Chijioke Ugwueze emerges PDP...

Obaseki vows to bring to book killers of...

Six arrested, policeman injured as police squad storms...

Rivers LG poll: PDP clears 23 council seats...

 

Latest News Senate probes alleged secret withdrawal of N151.3bn from Federation Account Kanu orders dry fasting as October 21 trial approaches Tension in Ebonyi as Umahi seals off hotel hosting PDP temporal office ahead of congress Calabar explosion: It is routine exercise, no cause for panic — Army Anambra: IGP’s deployment of 34,000 officers, 3 helicopters is preparation for war not election Buhari congratulates newly elected NUJ Executives SEEDS OF DESTINY 15 OCTOBER 2021 —THE POWER TO GET WEALTH Ayu’s emergence as chair: North gets PDP’s nod to contest 2023 Presidency Banks get deadline on dead customers’ BVN Minister accuses former Nigerian president’s daughter of forging documents to claim land Kaduna residents lament suspension of firewood, charcoal for cooking FG declares Tuesday public holiday to mark Eidul-Mawlid

 

Most Read I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (186,980 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (186,978 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (186,976 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (186,975 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (186,973 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (186,972 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (186,970 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (186,816 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (182,746 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (182,136 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (146,149 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (144,549 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (157) EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (6,930) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (131) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (49) ENTERTAINMENT (51) INTERNATIONAL (177) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (38)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.