$5.3bn: Court strikes out EFCC case against Patience Jonathan

By Editor on 21/04/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 818

Patience Jonathan
Patience Jonathan

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday struck out a suit filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), seeking tofreeze the sum of $5.3 billion domiciled in a bank account and linked to the wife of the former President, Mrs Patience Jonathan and six others.

Justice Mojisola Olatoregun struck out the suit at the instance of the EFCC who filed an application to discontinue same.

Last week Friday, Justice Olatoregun had struck out the Commission’s ex-parte application for the seizure of certain funds belonging to Mrs Jonathan after holding that the issue was already a subject of litigation before two other judges, Justice Murtala-Nyako and Justice John Tsoho, both of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

The judge also criticised the EFCC for engaging in forum shopping by filing multiple suits on the seizure of the funds, one with a total of $8,435,788.84 and another for N7.35billion.

According to Channels tv, with the court striking out the cases and a similar discontinuance application filed by the EFCC before Justice Nyako in Abuja, the EFCC will now file an application for the forfeiture of the funds to the Federal Government.

The court presided by Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, had sometime in December 2016, while granting EFCC’s ex-parte application ordered that the account be frozen pending the conclusion of investigation on the monies.

The judge had also ordered the EFCC to file an undertaking as to damages if it turned out that the order was erroneously granted.

In urging the court to temporarily freeze the account, the EFCC through one of its investigators, Abdulahi Tukura, in an affidavit, told the court that Mrs Patience Jonathan used different companies and individuals to acquire the money.

The investigator also said that Mrs Jonathan’s money in a bank account with a current balance of $5,842,316.66 billion, is reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime.

Another individual, Esther Oba who is said to be at large is also said to be in possession of $429,381.87 million said to belong to Mrs Jonathan.

At the hearing of the matter on Thursday, a lawyer to one of the respondents, Ige Asemudara, told the court that he was duly informed by the EFCC’s lawyer, Mohammed Idris, who was equally in court, that, the anti-graft agency had signified its intention to discontinue the suit, by filing a notice of discontinuance.

Asemudara, therefore, urged the court to strike out the suit.

Asemudara’s application was granted, and Justice Olatoregun consequently struck out the suit.

Posted 21/04/2018 06:55:49 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
PDP condemns alleged confiscation of Rivers governorship election...

Labour suspends strike, tripartite panel submits report to...

Nigerian youths are lazy, love free oil money...

PDP: Buhari’s Democracy Day speech full of lies…...

Police arraign Melaye for attempted suicide

Boko Haram: Angry Nigerian soldiers complain of inadequate...

Endless desperation to nail Ekweremadu

Kogi bans activities of trade unions in state...

Presidency endorses 65-year retirement age for teachers

17m people left Africa in 2017 – UN...

Why Enugu, Anambra get poor power supply ---EEDC...

2019: I don’t want four more years of...

 

Latest News Figures were written during the presidential election - Shettima alleges, blames INEC Gunmen shoot Returning Officer in Benue Obasanjo: Those opposing Atiku’s election petition are enemies of Nigeria Igbo leaders restate commitment to Nigeria's restructuring Igbos have no regrets for not supporting Buhari –Ohanaeze 1.6 million votes claim: We ‘ll meet Atiku in court, says INEC OurMumuDonDo Movement sacks Charlyboy as convener, BoT member I regret not being allowed to marry the man of my choice – Patience Ozokwor PDP calls for cancellation of supplementary election in Kano Herdsmen kill 40-year-old UNIZIK lecturer in Enugu Nigeria: We are disappointed by quality of 2019 elections — US govt Nigeria now more divided, in danger – Obasanjo

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (8,089 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (7,878 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (7,561 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (6,932 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (6,106 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (5,852 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,923 views) Sickle cell support group seeks lgovernment intervention (4,906 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (4,868 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (4,800 views) Israel serves quit notice to African illegal migrants (4,780 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (4,761 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (984) EDITORIAL (7) POLITICS (427) SOCIETY (106) SPORTS (15) BUSINESS (252) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (20) ENTERTAINMENT (9) INTERNATIONAL (32) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands