Boko Haram: Over 100,000 killed in 12 years of conflict in Borno – Gov Zulum

By AdvocateNews on 25/08/2021

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 656

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum

Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum on Tuesday said over 100,000 people have been killed in the state in the last 12 years contrary to other claims on the numbers of persons killed by Boko Haram insurgents.

According to the governor, 10 per cent of the population of Borno State is unaccounted for as many people in many communities in the state are still nowhere to be found even as government is working towards resettling the communities returning after they had fled their homes at the peak of the crisis.

Professor Zulum made the revelations after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the state house in Abuja where he briefed the President on the activities of terrorists in the Northeast and particularly in Borno State.

He also briefed the President on the successes being recorded especially with the fighters currently submitting to the Nigerian troops.

The governor said while some Nigerians are of the opinion that the surrendered Boko Haram fighters be rejected, there is no reason for any community to reject them, adding that they are people living within the communities before the unfortunate incident.

“Those fighters who surrendered should be accepted and treated well and should not be rejected in their communities. That is the only way to show them the difference by loving them because they have repented from their mistakes,” the governor said.

Zulum also told Newsmen that, so far, a total of 2,600 former terrorists and fighters have surrendered to the Nigerian military and are currently in custody of the military.

He said ” Not all of them are criminals. Some of them are also victims, as such the need for communities to understand and welcome the fact that they have realised their shortcomings and are now turning in to be good citizens.”

He explained that many of those who are surrendering to troops are people who were forcefully conscripted and that they had to stay with the terrorists to stay alive.
” Some of them were small children when they were taken to join the terrorists, ” he added.

Zulum told journalists that, he was attacked over five times by the terrorists while moving from one end of Borno State to another end to ensure that he builds confidence on the people, a sacrifice which is also yielding result with terrorists giving up and coming out to submit themselves.

He said his administration will do everything possible to support the surrendered terrorists, adding that government is not contemplating inducing the terrorists in order to have them surrendered but will work to ensure that those who surrender after profiling by the military return to their communities.

Posted 25/08/2021 07:24:43 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
TRAGEDY: 149 passengers perish, as Ethiopian Airline crashes...

Policemen kill colleague, mistake him for kidnapper

Tompolo issues 7-day ultimatum to FG to inaugurate...

Nigeria Decides: Atiku floors Buhari at Sanwo-Olu’s polling...

Bishop Kukah blasts Buhari, Says Our country and...

Soldiers dislodge IPOB/ESN logistics base in Anambra

Enugu records two more confirmed cases of COVID-19...

Two NYCN members missing after Rivers conference –...

EFCC arrests 30 suspected internet fraudsters in Enugu...

#RevolutionNow: Court Orders DSS to detain Sowore for...

Kogi Jailbreak: Enugu prisons seek military, police reinforcement...

2019 polls: Foreign investors withdraw N435.41bn from stock...

 

Latest News Breaking: Gunmen kill Enugu APC Youth Leader, one other, abduct another FG files new charges against Nnamdi Kanu PDP govs lampoon Buhari on economy, others, ask N’Assembly to override President on Electoral Act bill AYU: PDP will produce next president, Buhari govt pulled Nigeria backwards economically Fear grips Imo community as gunmen behead 65-year-old man Gunmen disrupt burial ceremony in Anambra community; destroy cars, house, send mourners scampering for safety Nnamdi Kanu rejects fresh charges, court adjourns trial Imo govt opens up on alleged Miyetti Allah vigilante operation Sit-at-home enforcers storm Catholic Church, disperse worshipers Biafra: Allow Nnamdi Kanu change his clothes, exercise – Judge orders DSS Hoodlums in army uniform kidnap seven wedding guests, demand N60m ransom 2023: I’ll solve Nigeria’s debt, economic challenges if elected President – Anyim

 

Most Read Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (258,830 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (258,829 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (258,829 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (258,829 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (258,827 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (258,826 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (258,825 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (258,824 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (251,431 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (250,444 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (192,935 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (191,206 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (20) NEWS (7,790) POLITICS (497) SOCIETY (133) SPORTS (61) BUSINESS (376) HEALTH (60) EDUCATION (51) ENTERTAINMENT (57) INTERNATIONAL (186) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (42)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.